roland-jupiter.org

The Roland Jupiter Series BBS
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:34 am 

Hello

I own a 3. hand Jupiter-6 with s/n 270587 in very good condition, without europa and midithrogh, since not very long.

Everything is working fine.

1)
In the service manual it is mentioned that there is a LFO leakege. I can hear it as a sharp buzz wenn LFO1 is set to max and in VCA section LFO is turned up too. I think this is what is told about in the service mannual.

Is it worth to do this modification? Does it really help?
And if so do I have to do it only on the 4 voice board or on both voice boards?

2)
There is also a modification to save on tape when some parts are missing on the panel board R. I did a check and I miss this parts too on the panel board R. I think to upgrade to Europa.
Is it wort to do it? I see somewhere written that you can log out from europa to use the tape save option. Will this mod be a benefit in this case?
My wish is to have a full working JP6.

3)
Where can I get the latest Eprom v.6 for my jupiter and how much does it cost?
Is it possiple do it with a cheap eprom programmer from ebay on the existing eprom inside the jp6?

4)
If I get Europa do I get roland eprom v.6 or a different one included with europa eprom?

5)
There is also a modification in the service manual (page 11) to prove s/n ratio. Did somebody do this? Is it necessarily?
I checked the listed parts from the service manual with the parts in my jp6 and they didn't match with what it should be.

6)
While cleaning out the inside of the synth i found 2 little parts of a slider. (see pics).
All sliders are working good. on the panel board R all the sliders have white plastic sockets except one with black plastic socket.
Now I'm not sure if it could be that the slider with black socket is a exchange part and the little parts I have found are from the slider that was put out?!

Do you have all sliders the same colour or does it differ?

Is there a way to test the sliders with a cheap max 1kohm analog voltmeter without desoldering them? If yes how? I will buy a better voltmeter next week.

I hear that the sliders work while I play with the synth. I just wanna be sure that there is a problem.

7)
Do I really need to change all the caps? If so do I have to chnge them all or only one kind of them ( i.e only electolytic ones or ceramic ones)?

Is there a way to test them before?

Do I have to do it when calibration is all ok too?

(PSU is working ok, did a check with voltmeter today, battery is showing 2,6v)

What more to ask? :)

The sounds this synth is capable is amazing- that's why I wanna keep it in a good condition that it can do incredible sounds the next 30 years too...

Best regards.

Last edited by turntheknobsman on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:38 am 

I did try to attach some pics, but can't see them now?

Can somebody see the pics?

Best regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:44 am 

Cant load up pics, it says max storage reached? The pics are each 700-800 kb and there are 7 of them.

Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.

What do I do wrong?

Best regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:36 pm 

3) I think I still have this eprom as binary file. I will look for it and send it to you. The replacement EPROM chip is common and cheap. DO NOT OVERWRITE THE JP-6 ORIGINAL EPROM AS YOU CAN END UP WITH AN UNUSABLE JP-6 IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG.

7) about the caps: if it's not broken, don't fix it. There is a huge chance of ripping off such old, dryed out PCB traces. Unless you have professional equipment and you are a seasoned tech don't mess with that, unless you are experiencing weird symptoms with your JP6. In that case, if you're not a seasoned tech, send it to be professionally serviced.

My 2 ยข.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:21 am 

Get Europa. You won't have to deal with updating the EPROM (Europa has its own ROM) and you won't ever have to deal with the tape interface again (much easier MIDI sysex patch dumps). Do the LFO bleed fix if it bothers you. Don't worry about the caps if the synth is working.