Jupiter-6

Post photos of your Jupiter series analogue synthesizer
Carey M

Jupiter-6

Postby Carey M » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi gang!

First post from a first time Jupiter owner here :) Got this JP-6 two days ago, really suprised to see such an old synth looking this fresh.

Roland Jupiter-6 #1

Roland Jupiter-6 #3

Roland Jupiter-6 #2

I have a JP-4 incoming later this month, really excited about that.

- CM

Carey M

Postby Carey M » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:00 pm

BTW.. Anybody else have a glossy finish on their front panel? It looks like it came like this from the factory, but I guess it could be an aftermarket job also..?

- CM

p teck

Jupiter 6

Postby p teck » Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 pm

New for 1983! That's one sweet looking synth and no, mine doesn't look like that. Any ideas about good ways to clean pot caps other than soaking them in sugar soap? Mine's in the shop right now getting sorted out(pitch bend problem and a service). I,ll post a picture when She's cleaned up. Thanks, Pete.

noidear

Postby noidear » Wed May 16, 2012 8:37 am

Beautiful looking JP-6 there Carey. The sort of glossy (personally I would call it more like Satin) finish looks like it is the same as from factory, as mine has same sort of finish. And the colours and screen print all look original. Does it have the Europa Modification Kit. If not I totally recommend you look into that as it adds a whole extra bunch of features and enhancements to the JP6, so definitely worth doing. www.synthcom.com

Generally the Jupiter 6 is usually found in much better condition nowadays since they weren't used quite so much when touring or in live situations, and tended rather to be studio based. Unlike the Jupiter 8 which was used live and therefore thrashed about by just about everyone back in the day, so finding an original Jupiter 8 in exceptional condition that hasnt been restored to some extent is quite hard. At least that is how it seems to me, but feel free to disagree anyone.

p teck, to clean the caps on your JP-6, I take it you mean the plastic tops from the pots and sliders. If they are really filthy then I would take them off and let them soak for a while in some soapy water (a bowl of luke warm water and washing up liquid works well here). Then use a soft brush like an old toothbrush for example and gently brush along the dirty grooves of the caps. I think sugar soap may be too harsh on the plastic and could damage the caps. I have had to clean caps and other similar items before and none of them needed anything more than just a gentle scrub with some water and washing up liquid. And make sure the caps are thoroughly dry before putting them back so water doesnt drip down the pots or sliders and on to the boards.

Hope that helps.

p teck

Postby p teck » Wed May 16, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Noidear, thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that the dirt is actually tobacco stains, so I was thinking of an agent that can really cut into it. Tried to get mine to James like yourself and Al suggested but he's really busy at the moment. Adrian at Synthrestore is doing the repairs for me, top lad and apparently he knows James. He suggested the sugar soap but I'll try the washing up liquid first when I get her back. Cheers m8, Pete.

noidear

Postby noidear » Thu May 17, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Pete,

Aha, yes tobacco stains might need something stronger, and if Adrian at Synth Restore recommended sugar soap then I am sure it must be ok. I haven't met Adrian but I know he is a well regarded and recommended tech and I am sure will do a great job. And I'll write that sugar soap tip down for future reference too, so cheers for that. :)

And I hope you get your Jupiter back soon so you can start making some banging choons :) Just got hold of a CR-78 which I have been looking out for for quite some time. Very cool unit with some classic sounds and rhythms.

Anyway cheers for now.

p teck

Postby p teck » Thu May 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi noidear, no problem mate. Glad I could give some advice for a change. Congrats on your CR78! loads of classic tunes made with that. Should have the JP back in a couple of weeks and yeah...Bangin Choones 4Defo!! know wot a meeeen R kid!! he he:) Looking forward to getting her on some tracks but the computer's down at the moment so here comes another dent in my bank account. Adrian fixed a couple of SH101's for me that shared a common fault(pitch unstable when touched on or around the on/off switch)and he did a great job at a fair price. I use one live and it would do my nut in when I'd touch the button by accident and off it would go half way through a solo! Both fine now though. I would never trust postman pat with my gear so I drove to Bedford from Manc, considering the petrol I'd used he did me a discount. Nice bloke. Have fun mate and Cheers, Pete.

Return to “Your Jupiter”