Jupiter 6 PSU Recapping Question

General Discussions concerning modifications to the Roland Jupiter series analogue synthesizers
vasculator

Jupiter 6 PSU Recapping Question

Postby vasculator » Mon May 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Hello. I'm about to start a recapping of the Jupiter 6 PSU. Does anyone know if there is a somewhat easy way to work on this task without disconnecting all the soldered lead lines on the PSU board? I'm sure there is probably no easy way around this I just wanted to make sure before I start the work that I wasn't overlooking something.

I'll have to double check to see if those lines terminate in soldered connections or molex at their destination.

Thanks!
-nick

vasculator

Postby vasculator » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:36 pm

The "easiest" way (no desoldering):

Unscrew all 3 pcb-related sections:

1) transformer
2) small psu pcb
3) large psu pcb

I had to cut the zip-tie that was holding the transformer in place. Also had to disconnect (and label) the 2 molex connectors nearest the large psu pcb. The transformer is on a metal plate that i kind of wedge into the area between the top and bottom of the chassis. I then used painters tape to fix the transformer in that space (taped to the front panel somewhat awkwardly). This provided enough give that I could angle the main psu pcb and move it in front of the back-left standoff that this pcb was attached to. I had to disconnect the molex connector at the bottom right of the cpu pcb and cut one of the strings that was keeping those cables bound together. You can do work on the psu pcb in almost all areas this way without desoldering the connections. Nothing was harmed, scratched or otherwise doing it this way. It was stable enough to desolder the caps without worrying about things shifting around.

Also, recapping the JP6 PSU made a much bigger difference than I expected. Now I just need to replace two more suspect electrolytics, replace all the sliders and 2 of the pots, recal it all and then it's back to being played.

Hope this helps someone...

noidear

Postby noidear » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks for the info. Useful for anyone that might need to do the same thing one day. One extra tip for others who aren't completely familiar with that sort of thing. I always find it useful to take a few photos of the area where I am about to disconnect things so at least there is a reference in case you end up with a spare screw or not sure where a connection should be. :)

Best of luck with the rest of the work and hope you get it back up and running soon. :)

Return to “The Bench”