My Soldering Iron has broken

General Discussions concerning modifications to the Roland Jupiter series analogue synthesizers
noidear

My Soldering Iron has broken

Postby noidear » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:32 pm

I know this is off topic, but don't know who else to ask. Basically I tried using my soldering iron today, a Xytronic LF-1000, http://www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/LF1000.html

Although it is turning on fine and the display seems to work but there is very little heat coming from the iron tip. I also notice that the heat selection knob doesnt seem to affect the temp display panel, so I can only hazard a guess that somehow one of the components that affect the heating control have died. The last time I used it was about 2 weeks ago and it was working fine then, but today no more.

So the question is, is it worth trying to fix it or get it fixed, or if anyone knows what might be the problem could they let me know? Or finally if its not worth fixing, can anyone recommend a good soldering iron for simple tech work, not too expensive but good value for money?

Thanks very much for any help
Last edited by noidear on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

noidear

Postby noidear » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Not to worry. I managed to get a replacement element for it and its working fine now. Might end up getting a spare iron sometime though, perhaps the Hakko 936.

Cheers all

Return to “The Bench”