JP-6 Bender board

General Discussions concerning modifications to the Roland Jupiter series analogue synthesizers
nebula

JP-6 Bender board

Postby nebula » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:12 pm

Has anybody ever embarked on making the bender board MIDI-controllable? The approach I was thinking of was sticking a separate, additional board in there with its own microcontroller, sniffing MIDI off the MIDI IN or THRU.

Maybe something could be designed on the MIDIbox hardware platform to output a few voltages as required by the bender board. (www.midibox.org / www.ucapps.de)

administrator
Site Admin

Postby administrator » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:19 am

If any progress is made on this, please let us know. It is a bit strange that you'd have two midi interfaces, two channels .. it could be messy. I know that people asked about it while Europa was developed but the idea was to leave what was analogue, analogue and not try to retro fit or make the upgrade any more involved than it already is.

nebula

Postby nebula » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:46 pm

The idea would be to have the MIDIbox core inside the Jupiter, so it stays invisible ... the only nuisance would be if you needed to change the receive channel.

ross3117

Bumping this topic

Postby ross3117 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:28 am

Hello fellow JP6/Europa fans.

Wondering if anyone's given this subject any thought recently.

I've got the service notes for the JP6 and I'm wondering if, now that the MIDI CPU is available from highlyliquid.com if there's any hope of midi-izing the JP6's bender board.

Seems doable in theory with these two boards (which are small and could live inside the JP):

http://highlyliquid.com/midi-controllers/midi-cpu/
http://highlyliquid.com/kits/decoder.html

Hoping the braintrust here might be able to shed some validating light on my noob theory...

Thoughts?

Gil Sicuro

Postby Gil Sicuro » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:24 am

That's curious. My Jupiter-8 has the Encore MIDI upgrade and pitch bend works fully via MIDI, regardless of the bender board settings. I think they used another approach to control pitch bend at Encore than hacking the bender board. BTW, the Encore MIDI kit has no connection whatsoever with the bender board, I installed it myself and the procedure was quite simple actually.

Return to “The Bench”