hmm

Discussions concerning the Europa mod for the Roland Jupiter-6 analogue synthesizer
CasioKorg

hmm

Postby CasioKorg » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:03 pm

so i have a j-6, and i dont have europa. what would i expect to gain from it?

sjones

Postby sjones » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:32 pm

1. random patch generator
2. better clock timing
3. insane arpeggiator options
4. midi improved
5. others...

cons:
1. lose tape dump/load functionality (slightly BD if you have tape back ups)

dougt

Postby dougt » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:40 am

You can still boot up in Roland mode and use the tape interface (if you must)...

CasioKorg

Postby CasioKorg » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:21 am

so i dont really know whats wrong. i lost all my internal memory, sounds, etc....and i figured it was the battery..i switched the battery, soldered it in, and im stil loosing the sounds...

anyone know what could be going on?

would Europa fix this?

dougt

Postby dougt » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Do you have a voltmeter? What voltage does the battery measure? Did you install it in the right direction?

CasioKorg

Postby CasioKorg » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:47 pm

dougt wrote:Do you have a voltmeter? What voltage does the battery measure? Did you install it in the right direction?

i de-soldered the old one, and put the new one in (yeah its in there the right way) then i couldnt figure out how to solder the new abttery in there, so i clamped it in place so its touching the two metal prongs.

is there a certain way to re-solder the battery in? i tried putting a bit of solder on each tip of the prongs, but i could only get one side to stick.....but as of now, both sides of the battery are in contact with the metal prongs to the main board.

dougt

Postby dougt » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:57 am

Sounds like it could loose contact in which case the memory would be wiped. You should have a new battery with solder tabs and soldered it in. What voltage do you measure at the battery check connector?

CasioKorg

Postby CasioKorg » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:06 am

its at 3 volts. where do i get solder tabbed batteries?

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:44 am

Can you attach a hi-res picture of the work you did? When you solder in a new battery be very careful in how long you hold the iron to the battery legs. If its too long, it could explode.

CasioKorg

Postby CasioKorg » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:38 am

sjones wrote:Can you attach a hi-res picture of the work you did? When you solder in a new battery be very careful in how long you hold the iron to the battery legs. If its too long, it could explode.

hello! sure i wil attach one in the morning, just lugged the J-6 back to the studio space.

i held it moderately long to the battery legs. i couldn't get the to stick! no explosions though. i placed a bit of solder in between the leg and the battery, but i still coudlnt get them to stick. in the end i place a rubberband around the legs, holding the battery in place between the legs. i know thats not the legit way, but i ran out of ideas...
hmm.

sjones

Postby sjones » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:48 am

I really recommend installing a battery holder any chance you get. I know I sound paranoid, but better safe than an exploding battery.

CasioKorg

Postby CasioKorg » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:11 am

sjones wrote:I really recommend installing a battery holder any chance you get. I know I sound paranoid, but better safe than an exploding battery.

doesnt the J6 already have a battery holder in there?

what kind of battery holder are your suggesting?

sjones

Postby sjones » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:47 am

Well here is mine. It obviously looks like it was replaced at some point, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a CR style battery. Are you sure you replaced your battery with the same CR number and not just another 3v? Because the CRs come in different diameters and thicknesses as well as voltage.

Don't apply your iron to your CR battery.. I'm sure that would exploded in a few seconds.
Attachments
DSC_2283.JPG
Random JP6 battery
DSC_2283.JPG (129.65 KiB) Viewed 13580 times

CasioKorg

Postby CasioKorg » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:18 am

sjones wrote:Well here is mine. It obviously looks like it was replaced at some point, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a CR style battery. Are you sure you replaced your battery with the same CR number and not just another 3v? Because the CRs come in different diameters and thicknesses as well as voltage.

Don't apply your iron to your CR battery.. I'm sure that would exploded in a few seconds.

i replaced it with a CR1/3N Battery (3V). Lithium

it looks like this:

Shot at 2007-07-19

when i took the old battery out, it had two metal protruding prongs. i kept those in and yanked the old battery out. should i put in all NEW prongs all togeather?
[/img][/url]

sjones

Postby sjones » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:39 pm

Hmm... are you asking if you should touch the prongs together? In this and previous messages it sounds like it.. If you do that, it will short out the battery (and cause it now to work). I'm sorry if I'm intrepreting you incorrectly.

Return to “Europa”