Europa 2.0

Discussions concerning the Europa mod for the Roland Jupiter-6 analogue synthesizer
nebula

Europa 2.0

Postby nebula » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:49 am

I just got an email back from Jeffrey from Synthcom. I am planning on ordering the kit shortly after my JP-6 arrives (should be by the beginning of next week), so I had a few questions about Europa.

I didn't ask permission to share this with the group but since he was so quick to reply candidly, I have to assume it's public knowledge, so I don't think he'd mind if I post this:

Hi Steve,

You wrote:

>I just won a JP-6 on eBay, and I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it.

Congrats!

>1. Have their been firmware updates since the release of the 1.0 manual in 2001? If so, are they documented?

There's a version 1.01 that fixes a SysEx bug.

>2. Do you have any plans to further enhance Europa?

Version 2.0 is in the release candidate stage of development.

>And are there any known bugs?

It helps to play with good timing to get the arpeggiators to play in sync. That will of course be fixed in V2.0.

>I was of the opinion that it should offer a dual (layer) mode, even despite the necessary reduction in polyphony.

I guess we read your mind - 2.0 has a layer mode. It also allows you to edit both upper & lower simultaneously, as well as seperately.

>Speaking of which, I was surprised to see no programmable split point.

The split IS programmable in V1.0 - just hold the Split 2-4 or 4-2 button, then press & release the split key.

>3. Are the archives for the mailing list available?

No, sorry.

>4. Last question - it won't affect my purchase of Europa, but it's something I've been wondering about: is the 4- voice board wired to the main board in the same way as the 2-voice board? Would it be possible in theory, if all the parts were available, to replace the 2-voice board with another 4-voice board, and modify the firmware for 8-note polyphony, or would additional hardware mods be necessary?

They are identical in hardware. Unfortunately, it would require some non-trivial modifications to the Europa firmware to take advantage of the extra voices. At this point, I don't see that happening.

>I look forward to joining you in Europa-land.

We'll be here when you're ready!

Jeffrey

Cool stuff. I have no idea if the version 2.0 firmware will be a paid upgrade for existing Europa users, but assuming it's not too pricey, it will likely be worth it for the new layer mode and improved arpeggiator sync.

Does anybody else have knowledge of this next version?

sjones

Postby sjones » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:18 am

I've had Europa for about 5 years now and I highly recommend it at nearly any cost. I would assume rom upgrades would be at or a little above cost. Jeffrey Needham probably will join this site, he beta tested Europa and got a lot of the programming aspects (such as the scratch ram for patch comparison) put into the current version which is critical for folks who program. Twiddlers don't care about that stuff.

If I got another JP6 today I'd order Europa for it shortly there after.

nebula

Postby nebula » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:12 am

^^ agreed, and I don't even have it yet.

Personally, I'm mostly drooling over the arpeggiator and the 16-step functions, but there's a lot in there.

And I just heard back that 2.0 will be a free upgrade when it is released, but there is no timeframe.

sjones

Postby sjones » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:48 am

I sort of think you should own a 'stock' Jupiter 6 for a while to actually be completely impressed with Europa. A lot of the features of Europa are stuff that digital synth users completely take for granted. I had my JP6 for over 10 years before I Europified it.

nebula

Postby nebula » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:34 am

Thx, but I'm no newbie... my synth list looks like this today:

Yamaha CS40M (analog)
Yamaha CS15D* (analog)
PAiA FatMan (analog, rack)
Korg EX-800 (DCO analog, rack)
Korg DW-6000 (DCO analog) -- some mods planned
Roland JX-8P (DCO analog) (with PG-800)
Roland Juno-106 (DCO analog) (a little under the weather)
Korg MS2000 (analog modelling)
Novation Supernova II (analog modelling, rack)
Korg Wavestation A/D (digital rom/vector, rack)
Yamaha TG77 (digital FM/ROMpler, rack)
Yamaha TX81Z (digital FM, rack)
Yamaha DX11 (digital FM)

(* My first synth was the CS15D, I bought it 22 years ago)

Synthesis is my thing. What's missing from my rig is a decent, MIDI analog poly. Although I haven't laid my hands on a JP-6 in over 15 years, I have a pretty good idea of what I want from it, and I am sure I'll want Europa.

sjones

Postby sjones » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:45 am

I'm familar with all of your gear. I'd say that Jupiter 6 (even stock) is worlds above any of those. :)

nebula

Postby nebula » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:47 pm

Worlds above? I hope you're right. :)

I do plan to make sure everything works as it should before I install the upgrade. In terms of the actual synthesizer, I don't know that Europa adds much in terms of new features other than the additional xmod option and the ability to silence the oscillators. The rest is all MIDI and arepeggiator.

I really need to be able to record tweaks over MIDI, and I really want a MIDI-syncable arpeggiator.

I'll be making sure everything works as it should before I do the upgrade, then I'll order it. All told, I'll probably have a stock JP-6 for a month before it is Europafied.

Meanwhile I'm getting impatient - my payment cleared a little late, so the synth I had hoped to receive by today probably won't arrive until sometime next week.

juno6

Postby juno6 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:13 am

I´ve v2.0 in my JP6. I´ve v2.00 RC3, but don´t remember which is the one in my Europa. Didn´t have time to check the new features, but one of the versions expand the patch memory from 64 to 384. That´s coooool. :lol:
Lots of bugfixes.

Return to “Europa”