Just got the V2.0 Europa Firmware!

Discussions concerning the Europa mod for the Roland Jupiter-6 analogue synthesizer
fatbot

Just got the V2.0 Europa Firmware!

Postby fatbot » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:28 pm

I've been having an intermittent problem with patch saving on my Europa which to test meant Synthcom sending me the new firmware candidate.

Lots of bugs fixed and elements of the user interface sharpened up. But of course the most fundamental addition is the ability to layer the upper and lower patches and play them over the whole keyboard, e.g. play two completely different patches simultaneously.

It works like this - In Whole mode, you press the Whole button again and the led now blinks to indicate Whole Layer mode. The split is 2-4, apparently it has to be this way. You can now select either Upper or Lower to control the patch for that voice board. You can also modify both simultaneously by pressing and holding Lower followed by Upper or vice-versa. You can specify separate voice assign modes for each board but if you have the lower one set to solo then only the lowest note of any chords is played by the lower voice which is called "chord and bass" mode or something like that.

I've just been playing around layering a punchy bass stab with an evolving LFO flutter pad, it's amazing the sudden broadening of sonic potential layering gives you. Obviously the lower board's compromised polyphony has to be considered so this new feature doesn't quite bring the JP-6 up to what the JP-8 can do. It does however go a long way to bridging the gap.

By the way, I'm not associated with Synthcom, not even on the same continent as them. The v2.0 firmware hasn't fixed my patch saving problem so Synthcom are now sending me a new chip. Have to say I've been very impressed with their post-sales support, especially as my Europa is now out of warranty.

Dan

sjones

Postby sjones » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:57 pm

I think your patch saving issue may be beyond Europa, but its probably something we can help you fix here. The patch stacking feature is something a lot of us have wanted for years and was a bit of an oversight by Roland in my opinion. Thanks for sharing that.

As far as not being able to save, do you currently have patches stored in memory? Does your battery have at least 3v? Are there certain bank/patch numbers that don't seem to hold data or corrupt a patch saved there?

fatbot

Postby fatbot » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:04 pm

It seems like it's a Europa flash problem as when I boot the board in Roland mode the patch saving works perfectly. If I've understood the Synthcom docs this is because the patches are then written directly to NVRAM rather than to the new CPU's internal flash.

The Synthcom chap said they did have a few chips go out in the early days with a flash-write problem.

juno6

Postby juno6 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:30 am

I had v2.0 for years. I had a problem with Europa´s arpeggiator which was not fixed by the update.
I agree about Synthcom post- (and pre) sales support. They offered to send me another chip but I´m not a big fun of arpeggiators anyway so I said no.
JZ:

dougt

Postby dougt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:11 am

Yeah I've been beta-testing v2.0 for years. Jeffrey recently told me he'll be sending me a 2.0 Final Candidate release soon. Another really cool thing it adds is it gives you 5X the patch/preset storage.

fatbot

Postby fatbot » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:12 am

And I thought I was special...

How does the 5x patch storage work? Didn't notice that in the release notes.

Synthcom

5x Patch Storage

Postby Synthcom » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:37 pm

fatbot wrote:And I thought I was special...

How does the 5x patch storage work? Didn't notice that in the release notes.

Sorry, I know the file is long & tedious, but it does say:

"Press and hold PRESET, select slots 1-6 via buttons A-F."

Time to update the user manual. :)

Jeffrey

7hz

Postby 7hz » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:37 pm

Layerd sounds?

5 X patch storage?

OMG yes please!

Whensitout? Canihaveashotplease?

Have to say that Synthcom rock, not only for making Europa, but for supporting it like this. it's a shame the original manufacturers don't support their own creations with as much love and dedication. Yes Akai professional, I'm looking at you! Don't suppose Synthcom fancy making a new OS for the MPC 4000 by any chance?

7hz

Postby 7hz » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:51 pm

Bump - any news on this? I can't wait now, the suspense is killing me!

cs1729

Postby cs1729 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:14 am

I am very interested in this, but can find little information. I currently have a JP-6 with Europa, but it was already installed when I bought the machine and I am not sure when the installation was done or if it is still under warranty.

When the version 2.0 upgrade is available, will I have to install new chips or is the new code written to be compatible with the old chips? If there is a cost for existing users to upgrade (presumably via a sysex dump), then what will it be (approximately or exactly)?

Thanks.

sjones

Postby sjones » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:48 am

I would guess that we could just send in our eproms and get them reflashed .. maybe for a small fee? I'm not sure, though I shouldn't speak for Jeff .. either way I'm very patient :)

fatbot

Postby fatbot » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:48 am

Nah, it's just a firmware change, so you just hook your board up to your laptop via a midi interface and run the efuu.exe program which ships with the Europa (or can probably be downloaded from Synthcom's website).

You then browse to the new firmware image and Bob's your auntie's live-in-lover it's done!

You're then layering patches with a huge smile on your face :D

7hz

Postby 7hz » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:13 am

I pm'd Synthcom Jeffrey about this, V2.0 will be a FREE upgrade. He's not sure when it'll be done. Tell him how cool Europa is and how much you would love to have V2, maybe he'll take pity on us and release it already ;-)

juno me

Postby juno me » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 am

As much as V2 sounds AMAZING im more than happy to wait for its final release, however, will it be updatable via Mac OSX, or is it still only using OS9 (like the V1 manual)?

Ive never used it, but apparently theres this little bit of OSX freeware for zapping sysex via MIDI around - http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/ - it that helps?

also, mr synthcom - im a graphic/web designer if you need any 'marketing' type updates doing anywhere?

7hz

Postby 7hz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:34 pm

V2 for xmas...

Pleeeeeease santa synthcom

:D

Return to “Europa”