Triggering a Promars from a midi/cv converter

The Roland Jupiter-4 and ProMars Compuphonic Analogue Synthesizer
J. Hahn

Triggering a Promars from a midi/cv converter

Postby J. Hahn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:14 am

Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble triggering the gate on my Promars when I hook it up with my midi/cv converter - a Kenton Pro-2000.
I've set the Pro-2000 to output 15V on the gate - however I've measured the actual output to 13.67V, but according to a tech guy from Kenton, that should be plenty to trigger it. He suggested the gate input on the Promars could be defective or corroded. However, if I connect the gate output of the Promars (which outputs 14.2V) directly to the gate input, it triggers just fine. I suppose it would not be so, if the input was defective?

Have anyone here tried playing a Promars from an external cv/gate signal, and if so, can you tell me how much it takes to trigger the gate?

I should mention that the synth is otherwise in fully working order, and if I put it in "Hold" mode, I can change the pitch from the Pro-2000 cv output. Only the gate is giving me trouble.

Cheers
Jesper

kimh

Re: Triggering a Promars from a midi/cv converter

Postby kimh » Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 pm

J. Hahn wrote:Hi guys,

However, if I connect the gate output of the Promars (which outputs 14.2V) directly to the gate input, it triggers just fine. I suppose it would not be so, if the input was defective?

Cheers
Jesper

From your description my guess is the same as the tech you mention:
the gate input jack is defective.
Open it up and do a visual check of the gate input jacks inside.
try to clean it.

My Promars triggers from almost anything - Kenton, analogue sequencer, silent way output - whatever

KIm

Return to “Jupiter-4 [and The ProMars]”