Multiple patch bank modification

The Roland Jupiter-4 and ProMars Compuphonic Analogue Synthesizer
LizardKing

Multiple patch bank modification

Postby LizardKing » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi folks,

I've read that back in the early 1980's Roland provided a set of instructions for adding additional patch banks to the Jupiter 4. I was wondering if anyone could provide enough details of this modification for me to be able to add it to my JP4. As far as I can tell, it involves adding additional RAM chips to store each patch bank, and wiring in a selector switch to change banks.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Mr Arkadin

Postby Mr Arkadin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:07 pm

LizardKing

Interesting, but ..

Postby LizardKing » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:38 pm

My Jupiter 4 already has the CHD MIDI kit, so I'm only really interested in adding support for mutiple patch banks.

Regards,

Chris

covariance

Re: Interesting, but ..

Postby covariance » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:22 pm

LizardKing wrote:My Jupiter 4 already has the CHD MIDI kit, so I'm only really interested in adding support for mutiple patch banks.

The Io is a 2-in-1 MIDI kit from which you need only the Patch Programmer part. It works with CHD seamlessly and has a lot of useful features like
- 32 patch memory
- Patch edit
- Copy patch
- MIDI on all parameters sent and received

For 99 EUR it is not so pricey and only needs 5 minutes to install.
My JP4 had the multiple patch bank installed but I removed it. It consists of 6 pieces of 5101 static RAM chips and a Jaxley switch as a selector. These chips costs 30 EUR alone and need heavy modification to install. Maybe better try the Io.
Regards,
covariance

Mr Arkadin

Re: Interesting, but ..

Postby Mr Arkadin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:41 pm

LizardKing wrote:My Jupiter 4 already has the CHD MIDI kit, so I'm only really interested in adding support for mutiple patch banks.

i only added the CHD a few months ago, i may take out the CHD and replace with this - it adds so much more. Slightly annoying i know but there are very few options for the Jupiter 4.

LizardKing

A slightly late update ...

Postby LizardKing » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:31 pm

In case this is of use to anyone wanting to upgrade the patch capacity on their JP4 in future, I thought it worth posting that I ended up installing the Io upgrade made by Laszlo (Covariance). He adapted the programmer part of the Io kit so that it would install alongside an existing CHD MIDI upgrade. The installation was incredibly simple, involving no soldering, and took about fifteen minutes. The new programmer is excellent, and Laszlo had expanded the number of patch memories from 32 to 64 by the time I ordered mine.

dhmartens

Postby dhmartens » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 pm

I just received my old Jupiter 4 with 64 preset upgrade mod via UPS in Los angeles after flying to Iowa to ship it back after 25 years. One of the 2Amp 250 volt fuses was blown so I switched it with another and it works perfectly so far. Also the backup batteries are still functioning(2 in Parallel) so at least some of my 25 year old presets are still intact.

I photo graphed the mod and will post it here shortly. There are 7 new ram chips soldered on top of eachother with pin 4 bent horizontally on each with 8 wires pulled up to a 10 position rotary switch on the front panel. Another wire is soldered to a pin on a differect chip which also goes up to the switch I believe.
I remember cutting a jumper on the motherboard but have not identified that yet.

Doug
dhmartens@yahoo.com

Return to “Jupiter-4 [and The ProMars]”