Io - A new MIDI retrofit for Jupiter 4

The Roland Jupiter-4 and ProMars Compuphonic Analogue Synthesizer
roginator

Postby roginator » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:24 pm

i just finished recaping my JP4.... soldered MIDI kit and will to try instal in next 2 days :)

cant wait!!!

polartech

Postby polartech » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Can someone please post the original factory sounds in controller change format - I want to reload them into the JP4.

Thanks... Laszlo...?

melt

Postby melt » Sat May 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Are there any developements with this?
Can we still buy them?

Thanks!

Brownian Lotion

Postby Brownian Lotion » Sat May 29, 2010 1:53 pm

I just acquired a Jupiter 4 with the Io installed.

I have a few questions, if thats ok..

1) Is it possible to disable merging the output midi data with the incoming midi?
2) I like the ability to route velocity to vcf/vca. But I noticed the control is monophonic, i.e. play two notes together, and only one of the note's velocity levels will be sent as modulation to the vcf/vca for both voices. This is especially noticable when you hold down a 'loud' note and then play a 'soft' note. The modulation changes to represent the 'soft' note for both voices. Will there be a firmware update that will make it polyphonic? I'm happy to pay a nominal fee for it.

Edited because one of my questions was n00bish and was thus removed.

covariance

Postby covariance » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:21 pm

1) Is it possible to disable merging the output midi data with the incoming midi?

No. Theoretically it is possible that a future upgrade will support soft thru off. As a workaround I suggest you to use MIDI message filtering on the Io output. If you describe the situation when you like to use soft thru off it helps me think about the solution.

2) I like the ability to route velocity to vcf/vca. But I noticed the control is monophonic, i.e. play two notes together, and only one of the note's velocity levels will be sent as modulation to the vcf/vca for both voices. This is especially noticable when you hold down a 'loud' note and then play a 'soft' note. The modulation changes to represent the 'soft' note for both voices. Will there be a firmware update that will make it polyphonic? I'm happy to pay a nominal fee for it.

Well, this is far beyond the possibilities of the JP4. Io is a controlling update and gives no more sound possibilities than the original synth.
However the construction of JP4 is very mod-friendly and I have a plan to manufacture a modkit. I did the noise level mod as a first example and probably others will come like more assigning mode, osc sync, FM.
Velocity on VCF/VCA is now on the wishlist :)

Brownian Lotion

Postby Brownian Lotion » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:20 am

Hi Covariance,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

It's ok about request (2) - I figured it might be architectural and not software.

But I'd really like the ability to switch off soft mini through in a future version!

I use a hardware sequencer in my current rig and can't filter the midi output of the JP4 easily.

Basically I have several midi controllers that are merged into one midi input into my sequencer. Then the sequencer echos midi to it's outputs which go to various synths.

Unfortunately, with the JP4 echoing its input to it's output, when midi notes are sent to the jp4, and when I want to record say an env attack tweak on the jp4 console (midi cc is sent from the jp4 midi our), the notes that are sent to it are echo'd out and recorded as well.

Using the jp4 as a controller for itself would be great. I would have to turn off echo in my sequencer (because the jp4 wouldnt have local notes off as an option), but that is ok.

I'm probably going to switch back to using logic or studiovision at a later date, but am resisting using computers because it stifles my workfow :)

covariance

Postby covariance » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:18 am

Brownian Lotion wrote:
Unfortunately, with the JP4 echoing its input to it's output, when midi notes are sent to the jp4, and when I want to record say an env attack tweak on the jp4 console (midi cc is sent from the jp4 midi our), the notes that are sent to it are echo'd out and recorded as well.

Thanks, I understood the situation. I will have to write some code to manage this scenario. Other question is how to switch soft thru on/off? Maybe a combination of buttons or a special SysEx request would be fine. Any idea?

Brownian Lotion

Postby Brownian Lotion » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Wow, thanks for taking this on!

Just want to say the Io project is very noble endeavour. Is there some way I can assist/encourage financially? e.g. Paypal? or maybe some web development?

SysEx is probably best, since a midi thru on/off parameter isn't a performance control.

By the way, are you thinking of making the Io handle a sysex dump request for all system parameters? That way some computer software could be written to handle any new non-performance settings for the synth, and report diagnostics if the Io gathers any (does it?)

Sorry, I tend to go overboard with ideas. What do you say to SysEx, is that the most elegant? Simple is better I think.

covariance

Postby covariance » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Brownian Lotion wrote:Wow, thanks for taking this on!

SysEx is probably best, since a midi thru on/off parameter isn't a performance control.

By the way, are you thinking of making the Io handle a sysex dump request for all system parameters? That way some computer software could be written to handle any new non-performance settings for the synth, and report diagnostics if the Io gathers any (does it?)

You are absolutely right. The whole Io project is community-driven so I greatly appreciate:
- Concepts, ideas, encourage of future developments
- User feedbacks, bug reports, music made with Io'd JP4
- Any addendum or clarificatoin to the manuals including pictures and videos
- Patience :)

I am very glad to see more and more users become a power user and getting on using SysEx and sophisticated control tweaking.
A computer software for managing JP4 in-depth is a great idea.
Two kind of dumps (one for a single patch and one for whole memory) are under development.

Tons of good ides are collected from the forum so don't hesitate to drop me a mail if there is something in your mind.

MarshallLaw

Postby MarshallLaw » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Wow, hi there, I'm Marcell from Munich and new to this board, I have a Jupiter 4 and 8 and my Jupi 4 lacks a working memory CPU. So I'm excited to see that there's something to cure it's illness. Great work covariance!

Best regards from Bavaria... ;-)

MatthewLeBlom

Postby MatthewLeBlom » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Hello,

I have a non-midi Jupiter4 which I love to midify.
Now I'm considering the CHD-midikit which is very basic.
But this midikit seems to be much more interesting.
Is it possible yet to buy one?

I'm very curious :D

Bedst regards,

Matthijs
the Netherlands
Silvertone

MatthewLeBlom

Postby MatthewLeBlom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Thank you very much!
Installeing was easy.
And it works fine :D

I am very happy!
Silvertone

covariance

Postby covariance » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:07 am

Thank you, Matthijs, for the feedback and have fun with the Jupiter!

Analogue_VCO

Where Can I Buy a Midi IO kit?

Postby Analogue_VCO » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Where Can I Buy a Midi IO kit?
Any ideas?

covariance

Re: Where Can I Buy a Midi IO kit?

Postby covariance » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Analogue_VCO wrote:Where Can I Buy a Midi IO kit?
Any ideas?

http://midipolis.blogspot.com

Return to “Jupiter-4 [and The ProMars]”