Io - A new MIDI retrofit for Jupiter 4

The Roland Jupiter-4 and ProMars Compuphonic Analogue Synthesizer
solvent

Postby solvent » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:55 pm

hi,

is this also true for a Kenton midi kit? i have the Kenton installed on my JP4... also looking forward to hearing whether this kit will work for ProMars

thx

jason

covariance wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:Could you record one of your installations and put it up on youtube? Perhaps do one showing with CHD if you still have it.

I will do it with the next installation likely on next week.
Although I don't have CHD I know how it works. You have to detach the two crimped wires come from the MIDI socket from the 4-pole board connector with a little screwdriver and plug the wires come from Io instead of it. Voila!

Moogulator

Postby Moogulator » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:37 pm

you need to uninstall all prev. interfaces to get it work properly. but worth it. Promars gets a special treatment.

there's nice things in the pipeline. but not yet ready to ship. (of course you COULD use another CV/Interface but without CCs and extra features - I won't tell before Laszo does ;)
www.moogulator.com (music) - www.sequencer.de (synth database & community)

covariance

Postby covariance » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:59 pm

solvent wrote:hi,

is this also true for a Kenton midi kit? i have the Kenton installed on my JP4... also looking forward to hearing whether this kit will work for ProMars

thx

jason

I tried the Io Patch Programmer Board and it worked for Promars as JP4 and Promars share the same programming section. Now I'm working on an internal MIDI-CV that not just gives control but new sonic capabilities like FM and Osc Sync.
Probably no problem with Kenton JP4 MIDI. All you need to do is internal rewiring of the MIDI cables.

polartech

Postby polartech » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 am

Hi Laszlo,

OK, I have safely received my Io kit today ;-)

But, I now have absolutely no idea what to do next!! Are there any fitting guidelines to follow anywhere, or ideally a youtube video maybe??

Thanks,

Geoff

covariance

Postby covariance » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the photos, Jupiter is amazing! Instructions sent.
Laszlo

boops

yep kit reveived

Postby boops » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi Laszlo,

OK, I have safely received my Io kit today ;-)

But, I now have absolutely no idea what to do next!! Are there any fitting guidelines to follow anywhere, or ideally a youtube video maybe??

Thanks, Boops

polartech

Postby polartech » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:41 pm

BRILLIANT! Thanks a million Laszlo, job done, no issues encountered at all.

Great instructions, couldn`t go wrong.

Definitely made the synth a hundred times more useful!!!

Geoff

:D

vince34

Postby vince34 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:26 am

Guys you're so lucky.

I was on the list for the first batch... But well Laszlo told me that he hadn't any kit left...

Anyway that also means that there will be more user patches in the kit I will receive..... :)

Could you guys tell me if all works nice? What about the pitch bender increased resolution...? How do you guys configure this ?

thanks for the help

Vincent.

boops

Postby boops » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi all ,the kit is installed ,works fine...thanks C.

no-fi

Postby no-fi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 pm

kit is in! having the JP4 fire off MIDI from ableton was a very happy moment!

I had some fun chasing down the exact solder points, but all worked out good.

....except now its bedtime before a big day at work tomorrow, but I have this awesome new MIDI capable jupiter4 to play with.
:twisted:

covariance

Development news

Postby covariance » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:13 am

Io now has memory for 64 patches as standard!
The second batch is equipped with the bigger memory and a few boards are built and ready for ship if someone wants a try.

I started working on the Promars version which is very exciting.
The planned feature list:
- Same full MIDI capable patch editing as for JP4
- MIDI control over note, pitch bend, cutoff, volume
- LFOs
- Extended programming on the second VCO
- Linear FM
- Oscillator sync
- Second multimode filter

All parameters are programmable.
This is not just a MIDI retrofit but a fantastic audio tuning as you can see.
Need a few weeks for constructing a prototype.
Thanks for supporting,
Laszlo

Frebrik

Postby Frebrik » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I wish this existed when I had a JP-4...

I still have my ProMars though, but one thing I miss from the Jupiter 4 is the arpeggiator. Did you consider putting the JP-4 arpeggiator into the ProMars version? It could for instance be started by pushing several preset buttons simultaneously. This would mean that you can not arpeggiate certain presets, but I could live with that... :D

I will probably not even put MIDI ports into the ProMars, I would buy it just for the arpeggiator.

And yes, I signed up just to wish for this...

BTW, how about sysex? I noticed that you support patch dump? Did you register to get a manufacturer code or are you using a non-existent? Or are you using Rolands(41h) since they are Roland synths? I am curious since I have been thinking of implementing sysex patch dump support to an open source synth... :)

covariance

Postby covariance » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Frebrik wrote:Did you consider putting the JP-4 arpeggiator into the ProMars version? It could for instance be started by pushing several preset buttons simultaneously. This would mean that you can not arpeggiate certain presets, but I could live with that... :D

On the wishlist.
BTW, how about sysex? I noticed that you support patch dump? Did you register to get a manufacturer code or are you using a non-existent? Or are you using Rolands(41h) since they are Roland synths? I am curious since I have been thinking of implementing sysex patch dump support to an open source synth... :)

;F0h - SysEx start
;7Dh - non-commercial devices ID
;4Ch - ASCII 'L' character (my initials)
;4Bh - ASCII 'K' character (my initials)
;01h - device (project) number

threshold

Where can I get one of these kits for my Jupiter-4?

Postby threshold » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:24 am

Hey Laszlo

Where can I get one of these kits? It looks awesome!!!! I have a Jupiter 4 it would be great to be able to use it over MIDI. How you going implement a multi-mode filter on the ProMars?

Ivan :o

covariance

Re: Where can I get one of these kits for my Jupiter-4?

Postby covariance » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 am

threshold wrote:How you going implement a multi-mode filter on the ProMars?

Ivan :o

The 12db multimode filter will be inserted after the oscillators and before the factory filters.
Four parameters: cutoff, resonance, HP-LP, +BP so just as on Sherman Filterbank the 3 different filter type can be mixed.
With the addition of FM and Sync, very complex waveforms can be generated and then the flexible filter section is quite handy.
The extra parameters will be available on the Second Page.
I am building prototypes to demonstrate the sound and the controlling possibilities right now.

Return to “Jupiter-4 [and The ProMars]”